Thursday 22 February 2018

Finally Aion is Painted!

Well, 3rd times the charm, right? After a lot of frustration... I had to repaint Aion three times. I wanted to paint him as a mossy stone, remember? Well, here is a photo of him, and I'll explain and rant about everything under the cut!



I painted him the first time on the first weekend after I got him. I was really happy with how he came out looking! But when I took photos it was... meh. The dark pastel I had used was really grainy and he looked dirty. It was my first faceup ever, and I even used the whole can of Testors for it, so I felt pretty bad about this.

I talked to hubby and I bought two more cans of Testors. I decided to first paint Nyx and, thankfully, she came out looking gorgeous! Hubby got me some dark gray pastels, and after talking with Tsukiyono she suggested me to add lines like stone cracks. It was a great idea, actually!

And I did it for the second time I painted Aion. He was looking great while I painted him! But when I assembled him again he was... not feeling it, honestly. I went to take photos of him to my mom's, and she told me I had the same pissed off face than Aion's.





Being honest, yes, I had a small crisis. Good thing is that I had learned to use less Testors, and still had some to use. Hubby (10/10 will marry again) sat we me thinking concepts for Aion.

First, I had thought of doing something "safe" and painting him like a wormhole/blackhole to be Nyx's opposite... but I didn't want to paint another galaxy. So we started looking for stone ideas, and thought of a granite with blue. Hubby insisted and I tried it first on Photoshop and, since it looked nice, I tried it on paper. It was ugly af.

So hubby came up with another idea: why not to make Aion like magma/molten stone? I wasn't convinced, so again made a mockup on Photoshop and then on paper. Something was missing, so I tried the same lines as before, but with paint. I had this intuition feeling of "hubby already picked perfect wigs/eyes for my other dolls, lets hear him out" xD And so, we spent the night watching a series and cleaning Aion together.

I had two holidays, so I had a chance to paint Aion again... sadly, I had an "accident" with a silly cutter while making props for Coco (I will share that anecdote another day) and had to paint him with my left index stretched without touching anything hahaha!!

I was really insecure, but poor guy he came to check my dragon when I asked him. He wasn't convinced by the lines on paper, but I insisted. After painting Aion I was so happy!! But (there is always a "but"), that afternoon I took a photo for Instagram and I started panicking. He didn't look nice, and a lot of details were missing... granted, I had taken the photo late on the day without natural light.





So after that, I left him in pieces on my dolly closet, because I was afraid. I hadn't liked him before (twice!) and now I was afraid of not liking him again. Two days later, I just thought that I would assemble him, and then judge if I liked him or not. And after assembling him... his pissed off face is just too cute!!!

SoI rushed to my mom's to take more photos of him -again- and appeared at her door with all my photography props and Aion in my hand. She looked at me like: "¬¬ the potted plants, again?", but then she willingly hold some leaves for Aion to burn xD He is magma after all!

And oh well, my inhability with paint is supreme. "Let's make crimson red!" I said. I so I ended up with brown (red + black), brown (red + blue), brown (blue + red), and another brown (red + blue + black). Pissed off, I mixed one of those browns with red, and got something reddish that ended up on his forehead with the runes. And the golden touch had to be there. He has two golden dots on his cheeks, but I don't think they are that visible. But I love him!!! FINALLY!!!



I'm so sorry forso much rant, but I had to vent xD A special thanks to Tsukiyono, AnoriChan, DaggrySaga and TalesFromTheShrike who gave me support and critiques at different stages of Aion's painting adventure xD

A conclussion to this? If husband has a concept for a doll, he will hit the nail xD So far, I'm terribly happy that I have both of my dragons, and hope to make some short stories, lore, and character questionnaires soon-ish! :D

14 comments :

  1. Aion looks fantastic!!! However many times you painted him, the final results worked beautifully. You have inspired me to repaint my Pico Ashes. I was so timid about painting him that I slavishly copied Aileen Doll's model. I didn't do a good job, with the result that I don't like him. I need to be brave and persistent, like you, and keep doing him over until I love him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I loved your Ashes but I'm so honored that my newbie work inspired you!! I hope you'll share your results! :D

      Delete
  2. Well all your "practice runs" turned out well in the end Musume. I like him as he is now, he's a very splendid little chappie, PO'd or not! :) We learn so much from our mistakes don't we and this wouldn't happen if you didn't have so much determination. WELL DONE GIRL!!
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! And that is true, one can learn so much from mistakes!
      Happy you like him!!

      Delete
  3. Aion looks amazing! The shading is very pretty and I love all the detail work you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I'm so proud of that ombre honestly :D

      Delete
  4. I think you and your hubby really nailed it this time :D Aion looks amazing. And it's impressing how fast you're picking up the skills for doing face-ups @_@

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'm honestly surprised, as they both turned out far better than I had hoped! I still cannot do the eye creases, but I hope I'll learn with time!

      Delete
  5. Aion quedó precioso. mis felicitaciones a la pintora y a su asesor XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done for having the patience and not giving up ! He turned out great and yes his pissed off face is pretty cute 😁 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I love his face, he is so cutely angry xD

      Delete
  7. Oh, Musume, I can almost feel the panicking and frustration. But I am glad that you did not give up, just let the little one rest for a while in your dolly closet! You did an amazing work with him and great that your near and dear helped you with thoughts and ideas. And, your mum tells it like it is - had to laugh, sorry! So funny! Who knew that fece expressions rub off from Aion to you! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there was a lot of frustration, but I wasn't giving up on him! That pissed off face was just too adorable! Hahaha, poor mom, but that day I was as pissed off as Aion xD

      Delete